First Steps….

The title of this blog is First Steps in Literacy, but it could also be First Steps in Blogging.  I’ve opened at least three blogging accounts and never written a word, so this time I joined the #EduBlogsClub in hopes of actually following through. Accountability can be a good thing.  To be honest, I think I’m really going to like the writing part, and really not like the sharing part. I already feel a little bit naked!

I’ve been in the field of early childhood education for 25 years. I started as a first grade teacher in a building with no walls, where everyone could see and hear everything in every classroom. Yikes.  This was where I learned to make my teaching public, through no choice of my own.  As a rather self-conscious person, this was terrifying. It ended up being a good thing though, because I got free professional development everyday just by watching my neighboring teachers.

This was my first awareness that good teaching really requires a network of support. I was blessed that I couldn’t just close my door and keep to myself.  Since that time, I’ve been part of several learning networks. I was a Reading Recovery teacher and then teacher leader. If you aren’t familiar, here is a link with information  , but basically it’s a professional development network for teachers of an early reading intervention.  We taught in front of our colleagues and problem-solved together.  Again, a very naked feeling — but we became better teachers.

This year I am taking first steps in a new job, teaching undergraduate courses full-time at my alma mater.  It seems the right time to write about teaching, learning, and literacy. My students are taking their first steps as teachers and I’m hoping this blog will help me serve them and model the “teacher as learner.”

10 thoughts on “First Steps….

1. Hi Susan

Welcome to blogging! You’ve taken the first steps. You’ll notice if you read other’s blogging stories that many of them talk about what aspects of blogging challenges them. Many new bloggers feel exactly like you do and I feel it is important to be aware of that aspect because it helps you appreciate how it can feel to your own students when you ask them to do something like this.

We know from research that blogging helps in a wide range of areas including reflection, learning and improving communication skills. But it isn’t something that you’ll immediately appreciate when you first start blogging.

Let me know if you need my help with anything and best of luck with your blogging!

@suewaters

• Sue, thank you so much for your supportive words. Your comment is the exact reason I joined the club. When we try something new and uncomfortable, it’s easy to feel alone and quit. So having other people judge you along and validate your feelings really helps. And like you said, I hope to remember this when I ask my students to do something new. Thank you!

2. Susan, I’m really looking forward to your future posts. You have a wealth of experience in teaching reading, and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I’m glad you started blogging!

Frances

• France’s,
      Thank you — I just read some of your blogs and wow! Love your writing and I can tell that you are a teacher after my own heart. Test scores……ugh.
      : )

3. Welcome to the blogosphere Susan. Taking that first step can seem very daunting, but just jump in there and do it. Your students will appreciate the fact that you are also prepared to be a learner along with them.

Sue @tasteach

4. Hi Susan!
    I am glad to see there are other rookies in the group! Growing professionally (and I suppose personally as well) always involves an element of risk taking – here’s hoping we both soon become comfortable with that sharing piece.
    Rachel

5. Wpw, I really love the connection you made between your early days of teaching in such a transparent environment to the need for all of us to learn and form networks of support! I look forward to reading more, kudos to you for participating in the #EdublogsClub!